Skip to main content


Showing posts from 2014

Before and After Pictures - Paint and Fencing

I thought I would post some before and after pictures of some more recent projects. I feel like I don't post on here often enough, so I thought I would put up some pictures :) The shed on the day of the inspection, before we purchased the house. About four years later with a new door post scraping/prepping for paint. After, painted with Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams and white trim Our bedroom window. Broken window pane and old paint.  New window paint and fresh paint! The house a few years ago, before we put in the picket fence.  The house a week ago while the guys were scraping/prepping for paint. The house tonight, post paint job :) The house years ago in all its yellow glory. Tonight with a fresh paint job.  Again, years ago.  And tonight, with our incomplete privacy fence. It is replacing that shabby picket fence.  And here are some fencing pictures. We've

We Painted the House!

We had the house painted this week! We hired a professional and it was completely worth not having to do it ourselves. They spent two days prepping the house. They pressure washed, scraped, sanded, caulked, primed and then painted. We chose Sherwin Williams Bunglehouse Blue for the body, white for the trim, Atmospheric for the porch ceiling and Iron Ore for the window and porch floor. We chose to paint the porch ceiling a haint blue because of the history behind it. We will see if it makes a difference with the amount of bugs. It is amazing how much of a difference paint can make! Now for the fun part, the pictures. The front of the house while the painters were working. The north side of the house. The west side of the house. The north side. The front Front porch They finished on Friday and it is still quite shocking to walk out and see a blue house instead of a yellow one. We think the blue makes the house look m

Project Update

This summer has been a busy one! I've spent a lot of time in trainings and working on my master's, so  we've had some help with all the woodwork. A lot of the woodwork is completed, but we still have the ceiling in the living room and the windows left work on and stain. It is fun to see progress finally happening! We will hopefully get to refinish the floors this year! We have a ton of projects planned in the upcoming month or so. On the 30th of August, the painter is going to start. That will be huge! On Labor Day weekend, we will demo our sunken patio in the backyard and plan on getting that completed by fall. We have ordered some more fencing so that we can take down the rickety fence between the front/backyard and between ourselves and the neighbor. That will completely fence in our backyard and we will have 100% privacy. Our backyard will be our own little oasis! Here are some pictures to show you how far our woodwork has come: This is what the woodwork looked

Summer 2014

This summer has been a lot more productive than last. I spent all of June in trainings, but we got to work in July. We have had a couple of teenagers working on the woodwork and we finished staining the ceiling in the dining room. Our goal is to complete the ceilings and the floors this summer and then finish the windows after that.  We have received several estimates for painting the exterior and are finally going to pull the trigger in September. We are painting the body of the house Bunglehouse Blue Super Paint from Sherwin Williams, white trim and an undecided dark charcoal grey for the inside of the windows. We plan on sanding the porch down ourselves and painting it the same color that we use for the inside of the windows. I am very excited to get the house painted. I think it will be the biggest improvement thus far on the house.   In the fall we are also going to tear out the old cracked concrete patio and pour a new one. I hope to do stamped concrete in a brick or cobb


We had cellulose insulation blown in and the guys finished in 2 days. It was fun to see how it all worked and get to watch someone else work on a project and not have to worry. It isn't often that we hire out jobs, so it was nice. The cellulose came in big bags: They drilled tiny holes in the siding. One set lower down: And another set higher up: This picture shows you how bad the paint is... I really hope we get it painted this fall.  Front porch holes: They blew the cellulose in using these hoses.  This is what the insulation looked like.  Then they filled the holes with wood corks.   It feels great to have it done! It will be interesting to see what difference it makes in our heating and cooling bills. Our next projects include: -Working on the woodwork in the parlor and dining room, -Scraping the ceiling in the dining room, -Staining the beams in the parlor and dining room, -Sanding and staining the flo