Skip to main content

Summer 2014

This summer has been a lot more productive than last. I spent all of June in trainings, but we got to work in July. We have had a couple of teenagers working on the woodwork and we finished staining the ceiling in the dining room. Our goal is to complete the ceilings and the floors this summer and then finish the windows after that. 

We have received several estimates for painting the exterior and are finally going to pull the trigger in September. We are painting the body of the house Bunglehouse Blue Super Paint from Sherwin Williams, white trim and an undecided dark charcoal grey for the inside of the windows. We plan on sanding the porch down ourselves and painting it the same color that we use for the inside of the windows. I am very excited to get the house painted. I think it will be the biggest improvement thus far on the house.  

In the fall we are also going to tear out the old cracked concrete patio and pour a new one. I hope to do stamped concrete in a brick or cobblestone pattern. We have a friend who does concrete, so this will be another diy project that we can do with him. 

I will update with pictures soon! 

Our goals right now are:
-Complete parlor and living room ceilings and baseboards
-Refinish dining room, living room and parlor floors 
-While refinishing floors, sand front porch down so we can repaint it 

Goals for the near(ish) future:
-Finish the back hallway- strip and repaint woodwork, paint walls and hang new light fixture 
-Paint house 
-Privacy fence between front and back yard


Popular posts from this blog

1928 Bungalow Rental Property Update

It has been a whirlwind 6 months and I cannot believe all that is happening in the world. We have been on lockdown in Washington, but have been doing our best to social distance and still get work done. We finished up our 1928 Bungalow and had renters moved in by February 1st. A couple weeks ago, we also purchased another bungalow... but this one is across the street from the previous house and was built in 1910. I will write a separate post for that house! The 1928 Bungalow turned out to be a great purchase! We snagged it for $79,000 and were able to fix it up and get it running for probably close to $20,000. We hope to run the numbers soon to get an exact amount, but we are very happy!  We initially focused on the interior of the house to get it ready for renters and after they moved in, we focused on cleaning up the yard. This house was purchased from an estate. The man had passed away and the family was selling it. The home was smoke damaged from the man smoking and needed

Rain Barrels and Chains

The most recent addition to our home: rain barrels and copper rain chains. A couple months ago, we had new seamless gutters installed to replace the plastic do-it-yourself gutters the previous owner had installed. We asked the installers to adapt them to fit rain chains, and installed our copper rain chains a couple weeks later. Before: You can see the many seams that the old gutters had. They all leaked! After: This is the front of the house, but you can see... NO seams! :) The next step was to find a rain barrel to catch the water at the bottom of the rain chains. We shopped online and found out that it would be a lot cheaper to make our own custom rain barrel than to buy one. We called around to wineries and found out that they were only charging $30/full wine barrel!! We bought three wine barrels and cut one in half to use at the base of both of the barrels. This helped get them high enough so that our watering can would fit under the spigot. Here are the rain chains befo

Painted Shed and Playhouse

We have painted the shed and playhouse and fallen in love with Bunglehouse Blue from Sherwin Williams. It is a nice crisp blue and looks great against the stark white trim. What a difference! The shed after we pressure washed it twice and sanded it down. Painted in Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams. We still need to do touch up and finish the window.  Out the back, we plan on building a new door to match the side door. This door is proof of the previous owner's skill. It's how she did everything...  The playhouse painted. It still needs house numbers, mailbox and some more trim. It's home for many bees and we hope to change that.  And now for the obligatory yard update! The roses are blooming!  The Conquest Maple is filling in wonderfully.  Snowball plant is blooming  The irises have all taken off! Geraniums and blue berries   The cacti are insane.  We are thinking about potentially pain