Skip to main content

Patio Project

We have been talking about renovating our backyard patio for years, and this year we finally pulled the trigger and bought the materials! We hired an excavation company to tear up the old concrete patio, level the land, and to level our newer rental and put in a sprinkler system.  It has almost been a month long project and it's still not completely finished. 

The first day that the excavation company was here, they were moving some material and their skid steer fell through our old concrete patio! There was a sink hole (that we were not aware of) that was big enough to swallow their machinery. It was insane to walk out and see the machine in the ground. 




They were able to get their machinery out and it only slowed things down by an hour. 






They were able to get the land leveled out. We probably doubled the size of our patio.



They put down a layer of gravel.


We had the first load of pavers delivered pretty quickly.



We started at the gate to the street.





A couple weeks ago, we had the rest of the pallets of pavers and retaining wall blocks delivered. 

The sheer amount of material was overwhelming!







We are now working on the retaining wall portion of the project. We have a U-shaped retaining wall that will border the two sides and back of the patio as a bench. We hope to eventually build wood planters to break up the hard surfaces with some greenery. 

We also purchased the pergola from Costco to add to the patio.

I will update once the project is complete! 






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Painted the House!

We had the house painted this week!

We hired a professional and it was completely worth not having to do it ourselves. They spent two days prepping the house. They pressure washed, scraped, sanded, caulked, primed and then painted. We chose Sherwin Williams Bunglehouse Blue for the body, white for the trim, Atmospheric for the porch ceiling and Iron Ore for the window and porch floor.

We chose to paint the porch ceiling a haint blue because of the history behind it. We will see if it makes a difference with the amount of bugs.

It is amazing how much of a difference paint can make! Now for the fun part, the pictures.

The front of the house while the painters were working.


The north side of the house.


The west side of the house.




The north side.





The front

Front porch










They finished on Friday and it is still quite shocking to walk out and see a blue house instead of a yellow one. We think the blue makes the house look more historic and less like a cottage.

Next up, we are working on some …

Painted Shed and Playhouse

We have painted the shed and playhouse and fallen in love with Bunglehouse Blue from Sherwin Williams. It is a nice crisp blue and looks great against the stark white trim. What a difference!


The shed after we pressure washed it twice and sanded it down.


Painted in Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams. We still need to do touch up and finish the window. 

Out the back, we plan on building a new door to match the side door. This door is proof of the previous owner's skill. It's how she did everything... 

The playhouse painted. It still needs house numbers, mailbox and some more trim. It's home for many bees and we hope to change that. 

And now for the obligatory yard update!
The roses are blooming! 

The Conquest Maple is filling in wonderfully. 


Snowball plant is blooming 

The irises have all taken off!



Geraniums and blue berries 

 The cacti are insane. 

We are thinking about potentially painting parts of the house on our own. After seeing how great the shed looks now, it h…

Final Downstairs Bathroom and Kitchen Update

It's official - we are done with the downstairs bathroom! It has gone through several smaller renovations, but we have finished the final remodel! It has been nice to enjoy our new bathroom and think about future projects.

We chose to stick with the classic subway tile and beadboard to keep the bathroom looking timeless.


We took the wall halfway down between the toilet and shower to make it feel more open. It is amazing how much a little wall can make a difference! 
We had the glass surround custom made so that it was extra tall. We also had the plumber install the shower head up higher than normal. 



Thomas made a built in magazine rack and toilet paper holder. It gives a lot more space between the toilet and wall. 

The door on the right did not have the original woodwork (the door may have been added later on), so we had found a match and created our own trim. It matches perfectly... you can't even tell it is new! 


We have also finished up the kitchen, so we took some update…