Skip to main content

Finishing the Kitchen

We have continued working on the kitchen... and still have more to do! Here is the kitchen from around when I posted last:



We then worked on the counters for the cabinets that we moved... These cabinets were where the stove is now. They are now next to the fridge and house my coffee bar. We stained and did 3 coats of Waterlox on the counters.

This is an area that we added to the right of the stove. It will house my pots and pans! We did the same for this countertop.


We finished tiling the wall (the last couple tiles have since been installed).



We are contemplating building a plant shelf on the window.




Winston had a chance to test out the new sink.


Cover and Khloe have been enjoying the beautiful weather with their new haircuts. 



 We worked on the shoe storage bench and storage cabinet. We also stained the drink cart (to the left in the picture) to match the rest of the counters.



We fostered these two (yes, we had four dogs for over a month!). They are sisters (not blood) from the same family. Their owners passed away, so they needed someone to take them in. They have since been adopted...


and are living the same quiet lifestyle that they are used to! I am so happy for them... 


The garden is flourishing (more pictures to come)!


We installed coat/purse hooks for the entrance. 


We started to decorate the kitchen. My clock went back up. 




I decided that I wanted some open shelving above my coffee bar. We had some cool older wood in the yard... so cut it to the correct length and cleaned it.


After the woodwork dried, I stained it the same dark walnut color as the floors and counters.




We found some mission brackets online (Mission shelf brackets) and installed the shelves. Now I just need to decorate! 


We started staining the fence. It is due for a new coat. I need to work some more on this...


We are still not done in the kitchen... We have a bit to do:
-Paint new cabinet fronts 
-Find new hardware and hinges and install 
-Install beadboard behind bench 
-Decorate 

This year, I would like to:
-Renovate downstairs bathroom 
-Stain fence 
-Continue expanding our garden 
-Work on ceiling in dining, living room, and parlor (white tin ceiling)

I hope to update soon with more pictures of the yard! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Painted the House!

We had the house painted this week!

We hired a professional and it was completely worth not having to do it ourselves. They spent two days prepping the house. They pressure washed, scraped, sanded, caulked, primed and then painted. We chose Sherwin Williams Bunglehouse Blue for the body, white for the trim, Atmospheric for the porch ceiling and Iron Ore for the window and porch floor.

We chose to paint the porch ceiling a haint blue because of the history behind it. We will see if it makes a difference with the amount of bugs.

It is amazing how much of a difference paint can make! Now for the fun part, the pictures.

The front of the house while the painters were working.


The north side of the house.


The west side of the house.




The north side.





The front

Front porch










They finished on Friday and it is still quite shocking to walk out and see a blue house instead of a yellow one. We think the blue makes the house look more historic and less like a cottage.

Next up, we are working on some …

Painted Shed and Playhouse

We have painted the shed and playhouse and fallen in love with Bunglehouse Blue from Sherwin Williams. It is a nice crisp blue and looks great against the stark white trim. What a difference!


The shed after we pressure washed it twice and sanded it down.


Painted in Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams. We still need to do touch up and finish the window. 

Out the back, we plan on building a new door to match the side door. This door is proof of the previous owner's skill. It's how she did everything... 

The playhouse painted. It still needs house numbers, mailbox and some more trim. It's home for many bees and we hope to change that. 

And now for the obligatory yard update!
The roses are blooming! 

The Conquest Maple is filling in wonderfully. 


Snowball plant is blooming 

The irises have all taken off!



Geraniums and blue berries 

 The cacti are insane. 

We are thinking about potentially painting parts of the house on our own. After seeing how great the shed looks now, it h…

Rain Barrels and Chains

The most recent addition to our home: rain barrels and copper rain chains. A couple months ago, we had new seamless gutters installed to replace the plastic do-it-yourself gutters the previous owner had installed. We asked the installers to adapt them to fit rain chains, and installed our copper rain chains a couple weeks later.

Before: You can see the many seams that the old gutters had. They all leaked!


After: This is the front of the house, but you can see... NO seams! :)


The next step was to find a rain barrel to catch the water at the bottom of the rain chains. We shopped online and found out that it would be a lot cheaper to make our own custom rain barrel than to buy one. We called around to wineries and found out that they were only charging $30/full wine barrel!! We bought three wine barrels and cut one in half to use at the base of both of the barrels. This helped get them high enough so that our watering can would fit under the spigot.

Here are the rain chains before the…