Skip to main content

Another Kitchen Update...

At the Bois Bungalow, we are about 90% done with our kitchen remodel! I am pretty excited to share with you pictures of our kitchen from the past couple months. 

We installed a large and beautiful apron front sink and new chrome faucet. 


The counters were sanded and ready for stain.


I stained the majority of the counters and then we began working on the tile.


There were some uneven areas that we leveled out.


Tiling was a slow and tedious job, but I really enjoyed it!



There were thousands of spacers...


...and buckets of mastic.



A garbage disposal was installed (<3)



New electrical outlets were installed. I chose to have them horizontal and lower so that they would be less obvious.


More tiling... slowly but surely we finished!






I knew that I wanted the whole wall to be tile... Thomas thought I was crazy, but when he saw it completed, he agreed!



Next, the grout! We chose white grout. I feel like white gives it a more subtle and historic look.




We installed under cabinet lighting (not the best picture) and I love the convenience of just turning these lights on at night.


As you can see, the grout (white area) changes the look of the tile.


Next, we completed the next couple areas of counters. We had to sand, condition, stain, and Waterlox.


We have a few small projects left to do, but I am really enjoying having my kitchen back. I am in love with our space and I will update soon with some projects that we have completed recently!

Recently completed projects:
-Installation of our pot filler 
-Bench seating/storage area 
-Stained kitchen cart 
-Installation of purse hooks 

Upcoming projects:
-Order and install new cabinet hardware and hinges 
-Build and install rustic open shelving above the coffee bar
-Install and paint new cabinet doors 
-Install beadboard and coat hooks

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Painted the House!

We had the house painted this week!

We hired a professional and it was completely worth not having to do it ourselves. They spent two days prepping the house. They pressure washed, scraped, sanded, caulked, primed and then painted. We chose Sherwin Williams Bunglehouse Blue for the body, white for the trim, Atmospheric for the porch ceiling and Iron Ore for the window and porch floor.

We chose to paint the porch ceiling a haint blue because of the history behind it. We will see if it makes a difference with the amount of bugs.

It is amazing how much of a difference paint can make! Now for the fun part, the pictures.

The front of the house while the painters were working.


The north side of the house.


The west side of the house.




The north side.





The front

Front porch










They finished on Friday and it is still quite shocking to walk out and see a blue house instead of a yellow one. We think the blue makes the house look more historic and less like a cottage.

Next up, we are working on some …

Woodwork, floors, and furniture!

We finished up the woodwork in the parlor and now just have two windows left before we are done with woodwork!

Finishing sanding the woodwork after stripping and scraping it.



Staining



Another finished window!




We had to replace several boards around the dining room windows because of damage and radiator holes.




We also had to fill in the gaps from where the colonnades and bookshelves were removed in the 30's. The previous owners had filled the gaps with plywood, so we matched the original oak with new oak.





This November, we finally refinished our main living area floors! It was a lot of square footage, but was pretty simple compared to our previous experiences (kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom). These floors are original to the house and are fir and oak. We knew we wanted to go with the same dark walnut color that we have done all of the other floors and woodwork in. Here are the floors before sanding:














First we sanded the floors down










Then we vacuumed and wiped the floors with minera…

Painted Shed and Playhouse

We have painted the shed and playhouse and fallen in love with Bunglehouse Blue from Sherwin Williams. It is a nice crisp blue and looks great against the stark white trim. What a difference!


The shed after we pressure washed it twice and sanded it down.


Painted in Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams. We still need to do touch up and finish the window. 

Out the back, we plan on building a new door to match the side door. This door is proof of the previous owner's skill. It's how she did everything... 

The playhouse painted. It still needs house numbers, mailbox and some more trim. It's home for many bees and we hope to change that. 

And now for the obligatory yard update!
The roses are blooming! 

The Conquest Maple is filling in wonderfully. 


Snowball plant is blooming 

The irises have all taken off!



Geraniums and blue berries 

 The cacti are insane. 

We are thinking about potentially painting parts of the house on our own. After seeing how great the shed looks now, it h…