Skip to main content

Woodwork, floors, and furniture!

We finished up the woodwork in the parlor and now just have two windows left before we are done with woodwork!

Finishing sanding the woodwork after stripping and scraping it.



Staining



Another finished window!




We had to replace several boards around the dining room windows because of damage and radiator holes.




We also had to fill in the gaps from where the colonnades and bookshelves were removed in the 30's. The previous owners had filled the gaps with plywood, so we matched the original oak with new oak.





This November, we finally refinished our main living area floors! It was a lot of square footage, but was pretty simple compared to our previous experiences (kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom). These floors are original to the house and are fir and oak. We knew we wanted to go with the same dark walnut color that we have done all of the other floors and woodwork in. Here are the floors before sanding:














First we sanded the floors down










Then we vacuumed and wiped the floors with mineral spirits to clean up the dust.










We let the mineral spirits dry overnight and got up bright and early to stain!



I love staining. It makes such a big difference so quickly.







Staining the quarter round



Polyurethane



New heating registers



Finally finished!









We got new furniture to fill our beautiful new rooms.











We have two windows left to finish and I would love to move onto the kitchen next. We are also looking at purchasing another house in our neighborhood, but we will have to see how that goes...



Comments

  1. Wow! Your floor restoration is fantastic. Your finished rooms look great. I'll bet you are enjoying being done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Painted the House!

We had the house painted this week!

We hired a professional and it was completely worth not having to do it ourselves. They spent two days prepping the house. They pressure washed, scraped, sanded, caulked, primed and then painted. We chose Sherwin Williams Bunglehouse Blue for the body, white for the trim, Atmospheric for the porch ceiling and Iron Ore for the window and porch floor.

We chose to paint the porch ceiling a haint blue because of the history behind it. We will see if it makes a difference with the amount of bugs.

It is amazing how much of a difference paint can make! Now for the fun part, the pictures.

The front of the house while the painters were working.


The north side of the house.


The west side of the house.




The north side.





The front

Front porch










They finished on Friday and it is still quite shocking to walk out and see a blue house instead of a yellow one. We think the blue makes the house look more historic and less like a cottage.

Next up, we are working on some …

Painted Shed and Playhouse

We have painted the shed and playhouse and fallen in love with Bunglehouse Blue from Sherwin Williams. It is a nice crisp blue and looks great against the stark white trim. What a difference!


The shed after we pressure washed it twice and sanded it down.


Painted in Bunglehouse Blue by Sherwin Williams. We still need to do touch up and finish the window. 

Out the back, we plan on building a new door to match the side door. This door is proof of the previous owner's skill. It's how she did everything... 

The playhouse painted. It still needs house numbers, mailbox and some more trim. It's home for many bees and we hope to change that. 

And now for the obligatory yard update!
The roses are blooming! 

The Conquest Maple is filling in wonderfully. 


Snowball plant is blooming 

The irises have all taken off!



Geraniums and blue berries 

 The cacti are insane. 

We are thinking about potentially painting parts of the house on our own. After seeing how great the shed looks now, it h…

Finishing the Kitchen

We have continued working on the kitchen... and still have more to do! Here is the kitchen from around when I posted last:


We then worked on the counters for the cabinets that we moved... These cabinets were where the stove is now. They are now next to the fridge and house my coffee bar. We stained and did 3 coats of Waterlox on the counters.

This is an area that we added to the right of the stove. It will house my pots and pans! We did the same for this countertop.


We finished tiling the wall (the last couple tiles have since been installed).



We are contemplating building a plant shelf on the window.




Winston had a chance to test out the new sink.


Cover and Khloe have been enjoying the beautiful weather with their new haircuts. 


 We worked on the shoe storage bench and storage cabinet. We also stained the drink cart (to the left in the picture) to match the rest of the counters.



We fostered these two (yes, we had four dogs for over a month!). They are sisters (not blood) from the sam…